13 October 2010

STAGE 2 - HOW I PAINT A DOG PORTRAIT IN PASTEL


Hi, a few more hours work on the Saluki dog pastel portrait.  I tend to work fairly slowly at this stage, building up the pastel strokes to show the form and structure of the head and hair growth direction.  I adjust the shapes as I go along, checking with the photo of Jamil.  The likeness can come and go at this point which is a bit scary but I am always ready to make changes rather than stick with something which looks good but is not accurate in terms of likeness.
Although I am working from a photograph, I am not aiming for a 'photographic finish', that is I want to show what the image is made from, the materials, the expressive marks.  Tomorrow, I will work up the eyes, love painting eyes and the challenge of getting the individual expression.
STAGE 2 - DOG PORTRAIT
SALUKI 'JAMIL'